Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Hirst Arts 3D Tiles part 3

Okay, so I got six cork tiles today. First: shop around when looking for packets of 12" x 12" (30.4cm x 30.4cm) cork tiles - because I ordered some a while back on ebay, for about $40, then today I found a six-pack for $13 at bunnings hardware store. I need more than six, so I can do the expansions as well, and things like lava, water, ice, pits, etc, as well, but the six I grabbed at Bunnings today will let me do the tile segments for the original game, using the PDF 4-page templates I made downloadable in a previous post.

So, here's six cork tiles:


I cut out the four pages for the first tile's template. I printed the templates in greyscale to save ink, and because I already know what bits are what:
Glued them onto a corkboard: this is important - do not over-glue. I used white wood glue, and a 3/4 " flat brush. Dribble glue all over the tile, then brush it around. You want a thin layer, but total cover, to attach the paper to. If there are gaps, they are places the paper might come off when cutting into segments, and if there are large puddles of glue, they will leave lumps and bumps in the paper when it dries, so brush it well to spread it across the surface, then attach the paper to the cork tile. Get a flat object (I used a plastic lid off a container) and rub it in circles all over the surface of the paper, to flatten it down and seal it into the glue. Make sure the edges are not coming up, but are glued down.
I also noticed that the cork tiles are not the 'exact' same size, so the templates fit neatly on some, but there was extra cork around the edges on others, so some trimming will be required later, to make sure the squares are all the same size.
After gluing a tile, I sit it out on the deck, and put a heavy box on top to prevent warping and curving. The tiles already had a slight curve to them when I got them, but they are bendy enough that when gluing the plaster tiles down onto them, they should flatten out completely. I found that after fifteen to twenty minutes, the corners of a couple tiles started to curve slightly upwards, so I just picked up the tile and gently bent it the other direction. When I laid it back down it was flat again.
In part 4, I'll have cut out all the segments of 3x3, 2x2, 2x1 and 1x1 squares!
Then I'll have to just wait until early or mid February, when my pre-cast plaster pieces should arrive in the mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment