Monday, November 15, 2010

repainting and basing haradrim part 4

I had just enough fake grass to flock a spearman's base. I also found a bag of tree flocking - darker, foam stuff for gluing on model trees, and I added some to his base in a couple places to add a touch of variance. I applied some dark green wash and some devlin mud wash onto the darker green flocking, to add some light and dark to it, and make it stand out a bit more from the grass.

Hopefully my tubs of flocking materials will arrive sometime soon.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

repainting and basing haradrim part 3

My brother suggested a before/after. Here's the same model type, with an original slap on paint job, and then with washes, drybrushing, highlighting added. The differences are subtle, but together they make quite a difference, with easily visible changes being the face or cloth ankle wraps, and more subtle differences being the details on the bow, the fingers of the hand, and the highlights on the red cloth.

On the left miniature, all light and shade is simply light from the camera being reflected on the paint and surfaces of the model. So, depending on the light in the room, that miniature can have visible details, or be flat and devoid of any detail. The miniature on the right has the lighting and shading painted onto it, so the details are visible all the time, from any position.

This also shows how you don't have to paint a miniature from scratch to add detail to it. All my figures are just single-colour 'fill in the pieces' like on the left, but using a wash on those figures, then drybrushing and highlighting on top, performs an 'upgrade' without having to start all over with the figure.

repainting and basing haradrim part 2

I've started working on the haradrim infantry, and am having a great time! Ages ago when I bought my first human army - a Warriors of Harad box set, I just blocked in areas in an appropriate colour, and they were ready to play. Now that I've gained a bit of experience, I'm going back over them all, and making them better.

To start with, I applied thick washes (citedal washes, like devlin mud and badab black) all over the miniatures. This causes all of the indents and creases to become visible. I then brush the initial paint colour back onto those parts of the miniature, but avoiding the creases so they stay dark. I then drybrush a lighter colour onto it, or very carefully paint the tips of raised surfaces in a bright colour.

Now they are much more fun to look at, with layers of colour, and all the features of the figure are now clearly visible even if sitting on the other side of the table.

Here's my first three 'almost complete' warriors, though I haven't based them yet (I'm waiting for a tub of citedal grass to come in the mail). I'm taking a break from warriors now to repaint my Hasharin assassin.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Repainting and Basing the Haradrim

The Harad forces were some of the first human miniatures I've ever painted up, and as such, I've learned a lot since I began my Haradrim army. A number of the figures have yet to be fully painted, and I decided I would start repainting, touching up, washing, basing, etc, all of my Harad forces.

To start off, I pulled out Suladan Mounted, applied a few washes, some drybrushing, touched up the paint in a few places, brightened the highlights, and gave him a nicer base. I'm still learning techniques for basing figures, but I'm starting to like how the bases are turning out now. Anyway, here's the latest version of my Suladan figure :)